The NaijaWide NewsThe NaijaWide NewsThe NaijaWide News
  • Home
  • Entertainment
  • News
  • Sports
  • Celeb News
  • Lifestyle & Trends
  • Politics
  • Biography
  • Economy & Business News
  • Foreign News
Search
© 2026 The NaijaWide News. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: EFCC Moves to Seize $13m as Businesswoman Aisha Achimugu Fights Back in Court
Share
Font ResizerAa
The NaijaWide NewsThe NaijaWide News
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • Entertainment
  • News
  • Sports
  • Celeb News
  • Lifestyle & Trends
  • Politics
  • Biography
  • Economy & Business News
  • Foreign News
Search
  • Home
  • Entertainment
  • News
  • Sports
  • Celeb News
  • Lifestyle & Trends
  • Politics
  • Biography
  • Economy & Business News
  • Foreign News
Follow US
© 2026 The NaijaWide News. All Rights Reserved.

Home » EFCC Moves to Seize $13m as Businesswoman Aisha Achimugu Fights Back in Court

News

EFCC Moves to Seize $13m as Businesswoman Aisha Achimugu Fights Back in Court

Oluwakemi Mayegun
Last updated: 21 January 2026 8:04 am
Oluwakemi Mayegun
Share
4 Min Read
SHARE

IMG 9294 The NaijaWide NewsThe Federal High Court in Abuja has fixed March 25 to rule on an application by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) seeking the final forfeiture of $13 million allegedly linked to Oceangate Engineering Oil & Gas Ltd, a company associated with prominent businesswoman Dr Aisha Achimugu.

Court Hears Arguments From Both Sides

Justice Emeka Nwite adjourned the matter for ruling after counsel to the EFCC, Rotimi Oyedepo (SAN), and Oceangate’s lawyer, Darlington Ozurumba, adopted and argued their respective processes.

The anti-graft agency is asking the court to permanently forfeit the funds to the Federal Government, claiming the money represents proceeds of unlawful activity.

How the $13m Came Under EFCC Radar

The court had earlier, on August 22, 2025, granted an interim forfeiture order on the funds and directed the EFCC to publish the notice in a national newspaper for interested parties to show cause within 14 days.

In an affidavit, EFCC investigator Usman Aliyu disclosed that intelligence reports linked Oceangate to the use of suspected illicit funds to acquire oil blocks from the Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC).

He said Oceangate, incorporated in 2005, participated in the 2024 oil licensing bid for Deep Offshore PPL 302 and Shallow Water PPL 3007, emerging as a successful bidder with total financial obligations of $37.2 million.

EFCC Alleges Cash Transactions, Illegal BDC Links

According to the EFCC, investigations revealed that between March 20 and April 3, 2025, Oceangate paid $20 million to the Federal Government for the oil blocks.

The commission alleged that to meet signature bonus requirements, the company conspired with unlicensed Bureau de Change (BDC) operators and bank officials to retain and move $13 million in cash outside the banking system.

Aliyu claimed that one Suleiman Muhammed Chiroma was used to collect the funds in cash across Abuja and Lagos, with portions allegedly handled by other individuals and companies to pay signature bonuses.

The EFCC also alleged that funds traced to Lagos State contractors were laundered through bank accounts, converted to dollars, and channelled to Oceangate.

Oceangate Denies Allegations

Oceangate opposed the forfeiture in an affidavit sworn by a director, Iliya Wakil, who urged the court to vacate the interim order.

Wakil insisted the funds were from legitimate earnings and gifts to Dr Achimugu, denying any conspiracy or illegal dealings. He maintained that Chiroma was a licensed BDC operator and said the company had no relationship with the individuals and firms named by the EFCC.

EFCC Fires Back

In a counter-affidavit, the EFCC urged the court to dismiss Oceangate’s claims, alleging that Wakil was a nominal director acting on Achimugu’s instructions.

The commission described Oceangate as a “shell company” allegedly created to hold petroleum assets acquired with illicit funds, disputing the company’s claim of being a functional oil and gas consortium.

The EFCC also questioned an audit report submitted by Oceangate, alleging that the auditor admitted he did not review the company’s bank statements.

What Happens Next

Justice Nwite adjourned the case to March 25 for ruling.

Meanwhile, the court had earlier ordered the forfeiture of $7 million linked to Providus Bank after no claimant emerged — a claim later disputed by Felak Concept Group Limited.

All eyes are now on the court as it prepares to decide the fate of the controversial $13 million.

Related: Popular X Influencer Aunty Esther Dies After Battle With Breast Cancer

Share This Article
Facebook Copy Link Print
Previous Article Public Outcry Forces DSS to Release Ogun Pastor After Road Protest Controversy Public Outcry Forces DSS to Release Ogun Pastor After Road Protest Controversy
Next Article “Over 5,000 Men Want to Marry Me” — Nkechi Blessing Cries Out Over Flood of DMs “Over 5,000 Men Want to Marry Me” — Nkechi Blessing Cries Out Over Flood of DMs
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

- Advertisement -

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
Ogun Police Set to Arrest TikTok User Mirabel Over Alleged False Rape Claim
Ogun Police Set to Arrest TikTok User Mirabel Over Alleged False Rape Claim
Lifestyle & Trends
Terror Threat Sparks Panic in Utono, Kebbi State as Militants Demand N100 Million
Terror Threat Sparks Panic in Utono, Kebbi State as Militants Demand N100 Million
News
Lagos Police Launch 24-Hour Coastal Road Patrol to Curb Crime and Protect Commuters
Lagos Police Launch 24-Hour Coastal Road Patrol to Curb Crime and Protect Commuters
News
Borno Police Disburses Over N20 Million to Families of Fallen Officers
Borno Police Disburses Over N20 Million to Families of Fallen Officers
News

You Might also Like

“This Is a National Horror” — Peter Obi Reacts as Kano Housewife and Six Children Are Brutally Killed
News

“This Is a National Horror” — Peter Obi Reacts as Kano Housewife and Six Children Are Brutally Killed

1 month ago
Oyo princes seek court order to restrict Alaafin’s public engagements
News

Oyo princes seek court order to restrict Alaafin’s public engagements

1 week ago
₦10,000 Gown Fee Sparks Campus Uproar as UNICROSS Postpones Matriculation Indefinitely
News

₦10,000 Gown Fee Sparks Campus Uproar as UNICROSS Postpones Matriculation Indefinitely

3 weeks ago
img 2844 The NaijaWide News
News

Workers Shut Down NLNG’s $10 Billion Train 7 Project in Rivers State Over Tax Deductions

4 months ago
The NaijaWide NewsThe NaijaWide News
Follow US
© 2026 The NaijaWide News. All Rights Reserved.
  • Home Page
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us
  • About Us
  • Terms of Service
  • Copyright & Takedown Policy (DMCA)
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?