The NaijaWide NewsThe NaijaWide NewsThe NaijaWide News
  • Home
  • Entertainment
  • News
  • Sports
  • Celeb News
  • Lifestyle & Trends
  • Politics
  • Biography
  • Economy & Business News
  • Foreign News
Search
© 2026 The NaijaWide News. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: Military Seizes Power in Guinea-Bissau, Halts Election as President Embaló Is Detained
Share
Font ResizerAa
The NaijaWide NewsThe NaijaWide News
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • Entertainment
  • News
  • Sports
  • Celeb News
  • Lifestyle & Trends
  • Politics
  • Biography
  • Economy & Business News
  • Foreign News
Search
  • Home
  • Entertainment
  • News
  • Sports
  • Celeb News
  • Lifestyle & Trends
  • Politics
  • Biography
  • Economy & Business News
  • Foreign News
Follow US
© 2026 The NaijaWide News. All Rights Reserved.

Home » Military Seizes Power in Guinea-Bissau, Halts Election as President Embaló Is Detained

News

Military Seizes Power in Guinea-Bissau, Halts Election as President Embaló Is Detained

Ogunsola Gbenga
Last updated: 26 November 2025 9:42 pm
Ogunsola Gbenga
Share
2 Min Read
SHARE

GridArt 20251126 201208888 1536x768 1 The NaijaWide News

Political tension in Guinea-Bissau has escalated sharply after military officers announced that they have taken control of the country, suspended the electoral process, and will govern indefinitely.

The situation intensified on Monday when both incumbent President Umaro Sissoco Embaló and opposition candidate Fernando Dias declared victory—despite the absence of official results from the electoral commission. Each side claimed they had secured more than the 50 percent required to avoid a run-off, deepening national uncertainty.

President Embaló Detained Inside Palace

According to ECOWAS, the election period had already been clouded by security concerns and political instability. The government previously reported that it had foiled an attempted coup, accusing Brigadier-General Daba Nawalna of plotting the attack.

On Wednesday, President Embaló told Jeune Afrique that he was detained around 1 p.m. inside the presidential palace. Several key officials were also arrested, including:

  • Biaguê Na Ntan – Armed Forces Chief

  • Botché Candé – Interior Minister

  • Mamadu Ture – Deputy Chief of Staff

Coup Leaders Announce New Authority

The officers behind the takeover released a statement identifying themselves as the “High Military Command for the Restoration of National Security and Public Order.”

According to Africa Report, the faction said it acted to counter a “destabilisation scheme” involving local politicians and a known drug trafficker. They claimed no violence was used during the takeover, but President Embaló described the move as a coup and urged international attention.

What Happens Next?

The electoral commission is expected to publish official results on Thursday, though the military’s announcement has cast uncertainty over the country’s political direction.

Thenaijawide.com will continue to follow developments in Guinea-Bissau as the situation unfolds.

Related: Tinubu Orders Immediate Withdrawal of Police From VIP Security Duties

Share This Article
Facebook Copy Link Print
ByOgunsola Gbenga
Follow:
Ogunsola Gbenga, also known by his online alias "WideBaBa," is the Founder and CEO of NaijaWide.com, a Nigerian entertainment and lifestyle website focusing on news, music, fashion, and culture. He studied Mass Communication at The Polytechnic Ibadan and is known for his work in digital media, creating a platform for Nigerian content
Previous Article 21-year-old student burnt by friends during birthday celebration (video) 21-year-old student burnt by friends during birthday celebration (video)
Next Article Burna Boy Reportedly Cancels Five ‘NSOW Tour’ Dates After Ticket Sales Drop Over Viral Controversy Burna Boy Reportedly Cancels Five ‘NSOW Tour’ Dates After Ticket Sales Drop Over Viral Controversy
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

- Advertisement -

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
DRAMA ERUPTS: Whitemoney Sparks Outrage After Bold Claim About Mercy Eke and Maria Chike
DRAMA ERUPTS: Whitemoney Sparks Outrage After Bold Claim About Mercy Eke and Maria Chike
Entertainment
SHOCKING CONFESSION: TikToker Mirabel Admits Rape Story Was False, Reveals She Created ‘Rapist’ Account
SHOCKING CONFESSION: TikToker Mirabel Admits Rape Story Was False, Reveals She Created ‘Rapist’ Account
Entertainment
We are working behind the scenes to settle the fight between Davido and Sophia Momodu – Dele Momodu
We are working behind the scenes to settle the fight between Davido and Sophia Momodu – Dele Momodu
Celeb News Entertainment
Ab0rtion does not cause fibroids – Aproko doctor educates women
Ab0rtion does not cause fibroids – Aproko doctor educates women
Health

You Might also Like

Dangote Issues 7-Day Ultimatum, Threatens ₦100bn Lawsuit Over Alleged Defamatory Claims
News

Dangote Issues 7-Day Ultimatum, Threatens ₦100bn Lawsuit Over Alleged Defamatory Claims

2 months ago
Edo Governor Monday Okpebholo Pledges Resignation if Tinubu Loses Edo in 2027 Election
News

Edo Governor Monday Okpebholo Pledges Resignation if Tinubu Loses Edo in 2027 Election

3 months ago
El-Rufai Officially Joins ADC After Leaving APC, Receives Membership Card in Kaduna
News

El-Rufai Officially Joins ADC After Leaving APC, Receives Membership Card in Kaduna

3 months ago
FG Bans Admission, Transfer of Students Into SS3 Nationwide
News

FG Bans Admission, Transfer of Students Into SS3 Nationwide

2 months ago
The NaijaWide NewsThe NaijaWide News
Follow US
© 2026 The NaijaWide News. All Rights Reserved.
  • Home Page
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us
  • About Us
  • Terms of Service
  • Copyright & Takedown Policy (DMCA)
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?