The NaijaWide NewsThe NaijaWide NewsThe NaijaWide News
  • Home
  • Entertainment
  • News
  • Sports
  • Celeb News
  • Lifestyle & Trends
  • Politics
  • Biography
  • Economy & Business News
  • Foreign News
Search
© 2026 The NaijaWide News. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: Outgoing BBC director tells staff to ‘fight’ for our journalism in response to Trump
Share
Font ResizerAa
The NaijaWide NewsThe NaijaWide News
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • Entertainment
  • News
  • Sports
  • Celeb News
  • Lifestyle & Trends
  • Politics
  • Biography
  • Economy & Business News
  • Foreign News
Search
  • Home
  • Entertainment
  • News
  • Sports
  • Celeb News
  • Lifestyle & Trends
  • Politics
  • Biography
  • Economy & Business News
  • Foreign News
Follow US
© 2026 The NaijaWide News. All Rights Reserved.

Home » Outgoing BBC director tells staff to ‘fight’ for our journalism in response to Trump

News

Outgoing BBC director tells staff to ‘fight’ for our journalism in response to Trump

Proff32 Proff32
Last updated: 12 November 2025 10:35 am
Proff32 Proff32
Share
4 Min Read
SHARE

SEC 273922237 94af The NaijaWide News

 

As Donald Trump’s lawsuit against the BBC looms, outgoing director-general Tim Davie held an all staff call on Monday, November 10, telling employees that the corporation must “stand up for our journalism” and control its own narrative, “which will not just be given by our enemies.”

Davie said he is “very, very proud” of BBC journalists, calling their work “incredibly important,” and spoke openly about why he resigned, citing the relentlessness of the role, pressure from Trump after the Panorama documentary, and the upcoming charter renewal. As he tried to leave the session, BBC journalists shouted questions about Trump’s pending legal action.

“These times are difficult for the BBC, but they get through them. We will get through it,” Davie told staff. “And this narrative will not just be given by our enemies. It’s our narrative. We own things. Why do we have traction and ownership in that? Well, as I said, I’ve been here before, and the key thing is, the BBC is more than one person. We are a unique and precious organisation, and I see the free press under pressure, I see the weaponisation. I think we’ve got to fight for our journalism. I’m really proud of our work, and the amazing work locally, globally, that we’re doing is utterly precious.”

Davie and BBC News chief Deborah Turness both resigned after criticism over how Trump’s speech was edited for Panorama. Now the corporation faces a Friday deadline issued by Trump, who is demanding an apology and compensation, warning that he may sue the BBC for $1 billion.

In a letter to the BBC, Trump’s attorney said the lawsuit will proceed unless the corporation issues a “full and fair” retraction of the Panorama documentary and any other “false, defamatory, disparaging, misleading and inflammatory statements” about him, apologises immediately, and “appropriately compensates” him for harm caused.

Davie said that as director-general he must “take the ultimate responsibility,” while Turness admitted “the buck stops with me.” Outside BBC headquarters, Turness rejected accusations of bias, saying “of course our journalists aren’t corrupt.”

Davie, appointed in 2020 after a career in marketing with PepsiCo, had already dealt with scandals at the corporation, including the 2021 report that Martin Bashir used deceit to secure the Princess Diana interview. But the Panorama controversy, combined with political pressure, ultimately pushed him out.

The Panorama episode that triggered the backlash included a clip that appeared to show Trump telling supporters he would walk with them to the Capitol and urging them to “fight like hell.” The quotes, however, were taken from different parts of his speech, roughly 50 minutes apart, and critics argued that the edit was misleading, especially because it did not include Trump’s line urging protesters to demonstrate “peacefully.” The fact that it aired just a week before the US election intensified scrutiny.

Trump has accused the BBC of attempting to “step on the scales of a presidential election,” and the escalating dispute has put the broadcaster under intense internal and external pressure as it braces for possible litigation.

Related: US Defends Nigeria’s CPC Designation, Cites Deborah Samuel’s Killing and Rising Attacks on Christians

Share This Article
Facebook Copy Link Print
Previous Article TikTok influencer ordered to pay her husband’s ex-wife $1.75 million in damages for wrecking their marriage TikTok influencer ordered to pay her husband’s ex-wife $1.75 million in damages for wrecking their marriage
Next Article APC chieftain, Joe Igbokwe, slams Military officer who had an altercation with Wike APC chieftain, Joe Igbokwe, slams Military officer who had an altercation with Wike
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

- Advertisement -

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
Ogun Police Set to Arrest TikTok User Mirabel Over Alleged False Rape Claim
Ogun Police Set to Arrest TikTok User Mirabel Over Alleged False Rape Claim
Lifestyle & Trends
Terror Threat Sparks Panic in Utono, Kebbi State as Militants Demand N100 Million
Terror Threat Sparks Panic in Utono, Kebbi State as Militants Demand N100 Million
News
Lagos Police Launch 24-Hour Coastal Road Patrol to Curb Crime and Protect Commuters
Lagos Police Launch 24-Hour Coastal Road Patrol to Curb Crime and Protect Commuters
News
Borno Police Disburses Over N20 Million to Families of Fallen Officers
Borno Police Disburses Over N20 Million to Families of Fallen Officers
News

You Might also Like

US Troops Quietly Arrive in Nigeria After Christmas Airstrikes, AFRICOM Confirms
News

US Troops Quietly Arrive in Nigeria After Christmas Airstrikes, AFRICOM Confirms

2 weeks ago
Man weds three women at once in Ilorin (video)
News

Man weds three women at once in Ilorin (video)

2 days ago
River Park Estate Dispute Continues as Investor Accuses Wike of Bias
News

River Park Estate Dispute Continues as Investor Accuses Wike of Bias

2 months ago
Court schedules November 20 for judgment in Nnamdi Kanu’s t3rrorism trial
News

Court schedules November 20 for judgment in Nnamdi Kanu’s t3rrorism trial

3 months ago
The NaijaWide NewsThe NaijaWide News
Follow US
© 2026 The NaijaWide News. All Rights Reserved.
  • Home Page
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us
  • About Us
  • Terms of Service
  • Copyright & Takedown Policy (DMCA)
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?