The NaijaWide NewsThe NaijaWide NewsThe NaijaWide News
  • Home
  • Entertainment
  • News
  • Sports
  • Celeb News
  • Lifestyle & Trends
  • Politics
  • Biography
  • Economy & Business News
  • Foreign News
Search
© 2026 The NaijaWide News. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: South-East Tension Rises: IPOB Declares Feb 2 Lockdown as Soludo Pushes Traders to Reopen
Share
Font ResizerAa
The NaijaWide NewsThe NaijaWide News
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • Entertainment
  • News
  • Sports
  • Celeb News
  • Lifestyle & Trends
  • Politics
  • Biography
  • Economy & Business News
  • Foreign News
Search
  • Home
  • Entertainment
  • News
  • Sports
  • Celeb News
  • Lifestyle & Trends
  • Politics
  • Biography
  • Economy & Business News
  • Foreign News
Follow US
© 2026 The NaijaWide News. All Rights Reserved.

Home » South-East Tension Rises: IPOB Declares Feb 2 Lockdown as Soludo Pushes Traders to Reopen

News

South-East Tension Rises: IPOB Declares Feb 2 Lockdown as Soludo Pushes Traders to Reopen

Ogunsola Gbenga
Last updated: 31 January 2026 8:51 am
Ogunsola Gbenga
Share
4 Min Read
SHARE

IPOB flag 1536x922 1 The NaijaWide News

The Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) has declared Monday, February 2, 2026, a total lockdown across the five South-East states, escalating tensions between the separatist group and the Anambra State Government over the ongoing enforcement of market activities on Mondays.

The directive was announced in a statement issued by IPOB’s Media and Publicity Secretary, Emma Powerful, who said the planned sit-at-home is intended as a solidarity action with traders affected by the recent closure of the Onitsha Main Market.

IPOB Declares “Solidarity Lockdown”

According to the statement, the lockdown will involve a complete shutdown of economic and social activities across what the group described as Biafran territories.

IPOB said the action is also meant to protest what it described as harsh measures by Anambra State Governor Chukwuma Soludo.

The group insisted that the planned sit-at-home is peaceful and aimed at demonstrating unity among supporters and traders.

IPOB also referenced its detained leader, Nnamdi Kanu, describing the lockdown as part of ongoing solidarity efforts connected to his continued detention.

Clash of Authority Over Monday Market Activities

The declaration comes days after Governor Soludo ordered traders, especially those operating in Onitsha Main Market, to resume normal Monday trading, warning that continued compliance with sit-at-home orders could attract extended market closures and other sanctions.

The governor had earlier described repeated market shutdowns as economic sabotage and accused unnamed actors of orchestrating disruptions to weaken the region’s economy.

IPOB, however, in its latest statement, described the government’s actions as oppressive and insisted traders have the right to observe the sit-at-home directive.

Background: Growing Sit-At-Home Tensions

Sit-at-home orders have remained one of the most controversial security and political issues in Nigeria’s South-East region. While supporters say the action is a form of civil protest, critics—including state governments—argue that it cripples local economies, disrupts schooling, and increases hardship for ordinary residents.

Onitsha Main Market, one of West Africa’s largest commercial hubs, plays a critical role in regional trade. Any prolonged shutdown typically affects supply chains, transport operations, and small-scale businesses across multiple states.

Key Implications

The latest declaration could have far-reaching effects:

  • Economic Impact: A total lockdown could significantly disrupt trade across the South-East.

  • Political Tension: The development signals a direct confrontation between state authority and separatist directives.

  • Security Concerns: Lockdown enforcement periods have historically raised fears of violence or coercion.

  • Regional Stability: The situation could influence broader security and governance discussions in the region.

What Happens Next

Attention is now focused on how residents, traders, and security agencies will respond on February 2. State governments and federal security forces are expected to monitor compliance and maintain order across the region.

As of the time of reporting, there has been no fresh official response from the Anambra State Government to IPOB’s latest declaration.

Observers say the coming days will be critical in determining whether tensions escalate further or if dialogue can help de-escalate the situation.

Related: “If calling out r@p!sts makes you uncomfortable, you need to question yourself” — Singer Simi sparks debate

Share This Article
Facebook Copy Link Print
ByOgunsola Gbenga
Follow:
Ogunsola Gbenga, also known by his online alias "WideBaBa," is the Founder and CEO of NaijaWide.com, a Nigerian entertainment and lifestyle website focusing on news, music, fashion, and culture. He studied Mass Communication at The Polytechnic Ibadan and is known for his work in digital media, creating a platform for Nigerian content
Previous Article “These Allegations Don’t Add Up” — Pastor Chris Okafor Breaks Silence on Doris Ogala’s Explosive Claims “These Allegations Don’t Add Up” — Pastor Chris Okafor Breaks Silence on Doris Ogala’s Explosive Claims
Next Article “God Will Punish You” — VDM Explodes as Ekiti Govt, Lawmakers Slammed Over Shocking ₦68m Health Budget “God Will Punish You” — VDM Explodes as Ekiti Govt, Lawmakers Slammed Over Shocking ₦68m Health Budget
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

- Advertisement -

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
Ogun Police Set to Arrest TikTok User Mirabel Over Alleged False Rape Claim
Ogun Police Set to Arrest TikTok User Mirabel Over Alleged False Rape Claim
Lifestyle & Trends
Terror Threat Sparks Panic in Utono, Kebbi State as Militants Demand N100 Million
Terror Threat Sparks Panic in Utono, Kebbi State as Militants Demand N100 Million
News
Lagos Police Launch 24-Hour Coastal Road Patrol to Curb Crime and Protect Commuters
Lagos Police Launch 24-Hour Coastal Road Patrol to Curb Crime and Protect Commuters
News
Borno Police Disburses Over N20 Million to Families of Fallen Officers
Borno Police Disburses Over N20 Million to Families of Fallen Officers
News

You Might also Like

1 1763539345 The NaijaWide News
News

ASUU warns of shutdown of all Nigerian universities

3 months ago
WAFCON 2026: Madugu names Ajibade, Nnadozie, 23 others for Cameroon friendlies
NewsSports

WAFCON 2026: Madugu names Ajibade, Nnadozie, 23 others for Cameroon friendlies

13 hours ago
Borno Governor Babagana Zulum Declares Statewide Day of Fasting and Prayer for Peace
News

Borno Governor Babagana Zulum Declares Statewide Day of Fasting and Prayer for Peace

3 months ago
img 4056 The NaijaWide News
News

Trump Orders Pentagon to Plan Action, Says U.S. May Cut Aid Over Killings of Christians in Nigeria

4 months ago
The NaijaWide NewsThe NaijaWide News
Follow US
© 2026 The NaijaWide News. All Rights Reserved.
  • Home Page
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us
  • About Us
  • Terms of Service
  • Copyright & Takedown Policy (DMCA)
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?